These are the tools you need to work Resingrave as well as other types of wood engraving blocks. They are made using high carbon tool steel.
The blades on the Angle Tints, Elliptic Tints, Flat and Round Gravers, and Multiple Line tools are 2.75" long; total length with the handle is 4.6". The blade on the Burins is 3.2" long, total length with the handle is 4.9". The smallest marks are made with Size 1 tools; the larger the size, the wider the mark the tool makes.
What the Tools Do
- Angle tint tools cut straight lines easily, often to give tone to areas of the print.
- Use elliptic tint tools for drawing or outlining.
- Multiple line tools are all 1/8" wide, and create multiple parallel lines with one stroke.
- Clear areas of the block with the broader round gravers or flat gravers.
- Burins are traditionally used on copper plates, and also work very well cutting Resingrave. Use to make lines of varied width.
- The stippling tool is excellent for raising a burr as well as making dots.
Engraving tools come from the manufacturer "factory sharp," which means they are given a basic shape, but they need to be sharpened in order to carve well.
For more information about engraving materials and sharpening engraving tools, please go to Basic Instructions and look under "Engraving."